How do I obtain service for a new account?

Service may be obtained in person at City Hall. You will be required to complete an Application for Service and show legal responsibility for the service address. Legal responsibility can be shown with; an offer to purchase or a closing disclosure or a lease (whichever applies). 

Please bring your photo ID with you to City Hall. If you are married and you will both be living at the service address, your spouse will need to come into City Hall with you and bring their photo ID as well. A deposit may be required before service can be provided. Deposits are payable with cash, check, debit/credit cards, or money order.

Requests received prior to 3:30 pm can generally be connected the same day. There will be a $25 service fee that will be applied to your bill.

Show All Answers

1. What type of identification is accepted?
2. What forms of payment are accepted?
3. Where do I pay my utility bill?
4. Do I need to provide my social security number?
5. What forms of payment are accepted?
6. How often will I receive a bill?
7. How are rates set?
8. How do I obtain service for a new account?
9. What if I move?
10. When is my bill due?
11. What if my water is turned off?
12. Will I be billed differently for my sprinkler meter account?
13. What if I do not agree with the usage or have a high bill?
14. When is my garbage day?
15. When is my recycling day?
16. What can I recycle?
17. I don’t have very much garbage; do I have to use the carts?
18. Why is the recycle cart green?
19. What do I do with the carts if I move?
20. What do I do if my cart gets damaged?
21. Will I receive a notice before my water is discontinued for non payment?
22. Do I need to pay a deposit to establish residential service?
23. Do I need to pay a deposit to establish service for a commercial account?
24. What services are included on my City utility statement?