Permitting for Individual Buildings & Lots

Construction on individual lots will typically require the developer to acquire a permit from the City's Planning and Zoning Department. Zoning permits enable the City to confirm proper compliance with zoning (e.g., setbacks, land use, etc.) and stormwater regulations. Randolph County performs building inspections on behalf of the City and will require developers to acquire a separate building permit (see below).

Projects Requiring a Zoning Permit

  • Permanent Signs
  • New Building Construction
  • Accessory Structures (e.g., sheds, car ports, etc.)
  • External Building Additions (e.g., patios, expanded floor plan, etc.)
  • In-Ground Pools
  • Solar Panels
  • New Concrete/Asphalt Driveways (only required when the driveway will create a new or expanded cut into the street or curb)

Projects Not Requiring Zoning a Permit

In many cases, a building permit may be required (see below)

  • Fences
  • Above-Ground Pools
  • Internal Building Renovations
  • Gravel Driveways and Repairs to Existing Driveways
  • Electrical Work
  • Plumbing

Building Permits

Most construction projects will require a Building Permit in addition to a Zoning Permit. Some projects that do not require a Zoning Permit, such as renovations and electrical work, will still require a Building Permit. Building Permits are issued by the Randolph County Department of Building Inspections (for sites with Archdale zoning jurisdiction located in both Randolph and Guilford County).

Randolph County Department of Building Inspections

204 E. Academy St.

Asheboro, NC 27203

(336) 318-6565